Importing from Excel

Place any feature wishes for TrajectoWare Drive 2.0 here.

Moderators: fschmidberger, dtutelman

RoutouGou
Trusted user

Importing from Excel

Post by RoutouGou » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:35 pm

It is fastidious to fill all field, when I have to load lot of data, such as coming fomr SwingTalk for example ;-)

So, my wish is "Importing Data from a SpreadSheet", to see my Practice Session ;-)

:P

Thx

dtutelman
Site Admin

Re: Importing from Excel

Post by dtutelman » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:02 pm

Interesting thought. We'll have to add it to the feature wish list. Not one of the top five or so things on the priority list, but it sounds worth doing.

Might be hard to do in general. The spreadsheet would have to have its format constrained -- if we can do it at all.

Thanks for the suggestion.

DaveT

juanstick
Trusted user

Post by juanstick » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:22 pm

I'm new here and would also like to do something similar.
How about CSV file, might make it a little easier on the programmer to create an import routine.

Thanks in advance!

dtutelman
Site Admin

Post by dtutelman » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:53 pm

juanstick wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:22 pm
How about CSV file, might make it a little easier on the programmer to create an import routine.
Thanks for the suggestion. Great idea!
Again, can't promise it in the next version. But we'll keep it on the "want" list. It may be easy, or it may be hard; depends on what the next version looks like.

Just a little speculation of my own. Really just writing notes to myself about how I might do it, for when we get to it. Might turn out to be completely different, so don't count on it.
I'm currently trying to make re-make TrajectoWare Drive as a web app. If I succeed, that will be a portable Version 2.0. Then:
  • Additional features could be added as point releases.
  • If we implement this feature in a cookie, the program could handle up to 8-12 trajectories from a 4096-byte cookie.
  • We would need a program to convert CSV to cookie. Probably pretty easy to do, but it should be portable, or at least potentially portable (that is, in a language and file operations that could fit on any computer with a browser).
  • Alternatively, it could be an HTTP interface. That sounds a lot harder. Requires converting CSV to individual parameters for POST call, plus the program has to make the HTTP POST call.