Hybrids?

This is the place for any questions and discussions about TrajectoWare.

Moderators: fschmidberger, dtutelman

k1enneth
Trusted user

Hybrids?

Post by k1enneth » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:32 am

Hello All; I am a new user and thanks for the download! I noticed Driver and long woods are the bread and butter of TrajectoWare due to the spin rate being less than 4000. Are hybrids clocking in above that number? I looked up the PGA stats on hybrid and the pros get about 4400 on them. I doubt most of us could duplicate that spin rate on our hybrids. Will hybrid be included in the future?

dtutelman
Site Admin

Re: Hybrids?

Post by dtutelman » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:06 am

The magic number is 4000rpm. It isn't about drivers vs hybrids -- nor even wedges. If your launch characteristics are within the allowable launch parameters, the program should give good answers.

It's worth noting that the program allows inputs outside those parameters, and will even calculate a result. The red warning number reminds you that the result may not be accurate. It may even be ridiculous. But the program will calculate it for you. So if you are seeing 4400rpm from the club in question, go ahead and calculate. That close to 4000rpm, you'll probably get something reasonable to work with, even if it's not spot-on. (With a well-struck short iron, though, the results are likely to be just silly.)

One final thought on the topic... I still don't know why an iron and a hybrid with the same loft give different ball flights. The reason must be launch conditions; once the ball is in the air, it doesn't know what kind of club hit it. But either:
  • The impact-to-launch equations are different for hybrids, or
  • Some other characteristic of the hybrid is different. For instance, the CG placement or MOI would change the gear effect, which TrajectoWare Drive does not yet account for. Or the CG placement might affect the actual loft at impact. Either of those might have some effect on the ball flight. Perhaps golfers tend to hit a hybrid with a different swing from their iron swing. Or it might be something else. I don't know.
Hope this helps,
DaveT

k1enneth
Trusted user

Re: Hybrids?

Post by k1enneth » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:31 pm

thank you.