Ball design question

This is the place for any questions and discussions about TrajectoWare.

Moderators: fschmidberger, dtutelman

horto008
Trusted user

Ball design question

Post by horto008 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:34 pm

First, I absolutely love the application. Thanks so much for making a freely available tool like this. Awesome.

My question is on how the ball dynamics are calculated. Mainly, how similar are lift effects relative to spin rates in various golf ball designs, e.g. how much is a ProV1 at 3000rpm like a Top Flite at 3000rpms?

For the purposes of the tool, do you have a standard ball in terms of dimples, compression, and other factors? If so, is that something that could be toyed with?

dtutelman
Site Admin

Re: Ball design question

Post by dtutelman » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:16 pm

horto008 wrote:First, I absolutely love the application. Thanks so much for making a freely available tool like this. Awesome.
Glad you're enjoying.
My question is on how the ball dynamics are calculated. Mainly, how similar are lift effects relative to spin rates in various golf ball designs, e.g. how much is a ProV1 at 3000rpm like a Top Flite at 3000rpms?
We haven't really worried about that. We used (with permission) algorithms published by John C Adams, along with the constants he used. Reading between the lines, I suspect Adams' work is based on the Pro-V1, but I don't know for sure.

We will probably have to worry about that before too long. We are working on higher spin, and there is a possibility we will have to quantify some of the ball's aerodynamic characteristics. (Note: the ball also has impact characteristics; I don't know if we'll be forced to deal with them sooner or later.)

It isn't that we would not like to do this immediately. The problem is priorities. TrajectoWare is a hobby, not a day job, for us.

DaveT