Nventix Nunchuk Shaft

This is the place for any questions and discussions about TrajectoWare.

Moderators: fschmidberger, dtutelman

NYKnuckleballer
Trusted user

Nventix Nunchuk Shaft

Post by NYKnuckleballer » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:59 am

A quick question for the experts. Little background info. The Word on the street is that the Nunchuk is supposedly a very tip stiff and butt stiff shaft. The only "soft" part of the shaft is the middle, thusly the name. It is definitely an interesting story. Is it a marketing gimmick??? No idea.

One shaft fits all, from A flex to XXX flex, from hybrid to driver. Smells gimmicky. But I have heard some glowing reviews. I have one in transit to my house as I type. I'm a sucker for these type of "innovative" products.

Playing characteristics are that it is a low launcher and "launches true to loft."

The numbers presented in the links above are the Nunchuk shaft along with two other shafts. The data is a compilation of swings. As we all know, things sometimes get lost in the "averages", as evidenced by the lower than expected carry results of shafts 2 and 3 versus shaft 1. The same head, 9* loft, was used in all testings, as well as the same golfer, who by all accounts is very, very solid. The machine was the Flightscope Kudu.

Below are the numbers in a nutshell:

Ball speed for all three shafts is basically 157 mph across the board.

LA numbers in order (Kyoshi shaft, Kai'li shaft, Nunchuk shaft):
12.3 Vertical, 1.3 Horizontal Right
11.9 Vertical, 1.7 Horizontal Right
10.6 Vertical, 0.9 Horizontal Right

Backspin Numbers (same order):

The Nunchuk is living up to it's billing of low launcher or launches true to loft. What I don't get is how?

I find it curious that the lowest launcher would have the highest spin. I guess this means the dynamic loft was highest at impact but that would also imply the AoA was lowest with this shaft. Why would someone launch 2+ degrees higher with two softer tipped shafts? Wouldn't a softer tipped shaft bending forward at impact, create a greater dynamic loft? I just can't picture how this shaft is doing it's thing.

Any help gentlemen?

Thanks,
David

PS - I also find the lateral deviation interesting, too.
Last edited by NYKnuckleballer on Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYKnuckleballer
Trusted user

Post by NYKnuckleballer » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:14 pm

Hey, is this thing on? Is Dave or Frank still around? :D

dtutelman
Site Admin

Re: Nventix Nunchuk Shaft

Post by dtutelman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:25 pm

Hi, David!
I don't hang out here very often, because there isn't that much activity.
NYKnuckleballer wrote:One shaft fits all, from A flex to XXX flex, from hybrid to driver. Smells gimmicky. But I have heard some glowing reviews.
Same here. Smells gimmicky. Heard some glowing reviews.

I did a quick-and-dirty assessment based on analysis. I've never actually hit one myself. It was at the SecretInTheDirt (http://www.secretinthedirt.com/index.ph ... ue-concept) forum. I guess an article on my web site wouldn't hurt -- when I get around to it.
The same head, 9* loft, was used in all testings, as well as the same golfer, who by all accounts is very, very solid. The machine was the Flightscope Kudu.

Below are the numbers in a nutshell:

Ball speed for all three shafts is basically 157 mph across the board.

LA numbers in order (Kyoshi shaft, Kai'li shaft, Nunchuk shaft):
12.3 Vertical, 1.3 Horizontal Right
11.9 Vertical, 1.7 Horizontal Right
10.6 Vertical, 0.9 Horizontal Right

Backspin Numbers (same order):

The Nunchuk is living up to it's billing of low launcher or launches true to loft. What I don't get is how?

I find it curious that the lowest launcher would have the highest spin. I guess this means the dynamic loft was highest at impact but that would also imply the AoA was lowest with this shaft. Why would someone launch 2+ degrees higher with two softer tipped shafts? Wouldn't a softer tipped shaft bending forward at impact, create a greater dynamic loft? I just can't picture how this shaft is doing it's thing.

Actually, David, it makes a bunch of sense. The lower launch angle with the super-tip-stiff Nunchuk isn't surprising. Apparently it's not surprising to you either. The increased spin is the issue, and it should be. Here's my take:

Let's assume that, as you noted in the overall description of the test, the golfer making the swings is very solid and repeatable.

Point #1: The difference ain't gonna be the angle of attack! A 2-degree difference of AoA is a big swing change for a repeatable golfer. And the combination of effective loft and AoA doesn't sound like anything a shaft would do on its own.

Point #2: If the guy is repeatable, he probably hits the ball in the same spot on the face nearly every time. And if he is solid -- a good driver of the ball -- that spot is high-middle on the face. So he is getting backspin reduction from vertical gear effect. (See http://www.tutelman.com/golf/ballflight/gearEffect2.php)

What does all this tell me? It is possible that a very tip-stiff shaft will limit the vertical gear effect, and the result would be more backspin. Dana Upshaw has observed this effect years ago, with less radical shafts than the Nunchuk. My own analysis (http://www.tutelman.com/golf/ballflight/gearEffect4.php) suggests that the effect should be a lot less than he observed. But a super-tip-stiff shaft like the Nunchuk might emphasize the effect that Dana observed, and that could explain the spin results.

Hope this helps,
DaveT

NYKnuckleballer
Trusted user

Post by NYKnuckleballer » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:40 pm

You da man Dave.

Went to the range last night and hit a lot of consistent drives with this nunchuk-shafted 2 wood last night. I was hitting everything great last night though. I find that it seldom transfers to the course. :lol:

Hit the same launch window almost every time. I slightly blocked a couple right. Those drives launched higher, but were the only ones and they were consistent within their category. If I pulled it slightly or hit that picture perfect drive straight down the middle, they all launched in the same window.

Every decent swing had little shot shape to it. Whatever line the drive started on, it stayed. Of course, this is a 16* 2 wood of HiBore design, which are considered highly forgiving even before the shaft.

I'm excited though. Can't wait to see how my "fairway finder" experiment plays out.