This is the place for any questions and discussions about TrajectoWare.

Moderators: fschmidberger, dtutelman

DEZ
Trusted user

Post by DEZ » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:39 pm

Hello to everybody,
Just have some questions on purchasing a L/M that maybe someone could shed some light on? But first I really want to thank Dave & Frank for the site! It really is great and I can't wait until I can get a L/M to check things out. Also Dave your website is fantastic, how you find the time to do all this is pretty amazing, please keep it going though as you have really helped me with golf and clubfitting. I have a NF-4 that I built and use all the time, couldn't be with out it. Now to my question, as much as I would like to be able to buy a new L/M, such as a Vector Pro, Trackman or even a Zelocity I can afford it right now. Will a older version Vector that is used work okay? What are it's good and bad traits, it seems that it measures side spin at least, whereas the less expensive Zelocity doesn't. Any help would be appreciated. Thankyou DEZ

dtutelman
Site Admin

Launch monitor

Post by dtutelman » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:14 pm

DEZ wrote:Dave your website is fantastic, how you find the time to do all this is pretty amazing
Thanks much for the compliment. It helps to be retired. But even then I don't have time for all the golf technology projects I'd like to do.
Now to my question, as much as I would like to be able to buy a new L/M, such as a Vector Pro, Trackman or even a Zelocity I can afford it right now. Will a older version Vector that is used work okay? What are it's good and bad traits, it seems that it measures side spin at least, whereas the less expensive Zelocity doesn't.
I'm not up on the features of each model of launch monitor. The simplest info you need is ball speed, launch angle, and spin. Without all three, you can't make proper use of TrajectoWare Drive.

In addition to the "big three", there are other very useful parameters to measure, especially clubhead speed and/or smash factor (the ratio of ball speed to clubhead speed). Other interesting things are the various angles between clubhead path, clubface, and target line.

There are lots of [relatively] inexpensive products that do ball speed, at least one way of improvising launch angle on the cheap, but spin is a lot harder. If, however, you don't appreciate the effect of spin, just look at my analysis of gear effect at http://www.tutelman.com/golf/clubs/gearEffect.php.

I hope this starts a discussion of launch monitor features and prices.

Cheers,
DaveT

DEZ
Trusted user

Post by DEZ » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:06 am

Thanks Dave for getting back to me and from my prespective spin is probably the most important of the big three to measure and the hardest. I have a swing speed recorder already and have worked on my swing so that I can tee the ball up higher and further up in my stance to allow the ball to be hit on the upper part of the sweet spot, but still get to much spin that causes the ball to plug in the fairway. ( up here in Mt. we have very lush & wet fairways) But I go to Ariz. in the winter and the fairways are drier and harder which as you know gives more roll, that is why I want to get a L/M. Hopefully some one else will respond that has a older Vector. Thankyou again DEZ

Mikeb
Trusted user

Launch monitors

Post by Mikeb » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:15 pm

Hi DEZ,

I compete in Long drive and have been on most of the launch monitors available. Here's my view.

1. Vector - probably the worst. Not sure why, the photo- calculations should be pretty easy. I have been on 4 and the readings are all over the place. Most of the LD community does not use them

2. Zelocity - pure launch - this is the all the tools launch monitor. CHS, MS, Spin.. it has it all. I've hit on a zelocity more than any other and recently dont trust the numbers. I hit it at a range and one reading will give me a launch angle of 9 the other will be 14 and they looked the same. compared to a flightscope, BS was about right, spin was 500-700 higher than the flightscope, launch on teh flightscope looked better

3. Flightscope- This is the best for the money ( about 8-9k)

4. Trackman is the best - similar technology as flighscope costs ALOT more

Spin is elusive.. If you want to try a vector, test is at a range first and look at the ball. Some I hit were really crazy..

tonyt
Trusted user

LM

Post by tonyt » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:49 pm

HI MIKEB JUST READ YOUR POST ON LAUNCH MONITIORS GREAT INFO HAVE YOU EVER HIT WITH THE GOLF ACHIEVER SYSTEM?REGARDA ANTHONY