How about the rest of the Set?

Place any feature wishes for TrajectoWare Drive 2.0 here.

Moderators: fschmidberger, dtutelman

Sveinnsn
Trusted user

How about the rest of the Set?

Post by Sveinnsn » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:49 pm

Hello and thank you for doing this work and this looks very impressive. As an engineer and physics nerd I would very much like to see the code that you use for calculating the trajectory.

I was wondering if there is any interest in making a similar program that would simulate the trajectory of iron shots as well? Your code would be at least a very good first step in making such a program and I would perhaps even be able to crank up the nerdness and help you with deriving the physics that dominate those types of shots.

I would think the increased spin rate of iron shots and wedge shots would not make the physics very much different. At least the ball speed will be lower so we would be moving away from any mach-related cpmplexities, not that it is likely to be any factor at such low speeds.

Anyway. Do you intend to make an iron ball flight simulator in the future?

Happy New Year, Sveinn

dtutelman
Site Admin

Re: How about the rest of the Set?

Post by dtutelman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:26 pm

Sveinnsn wrote:Hello and thank you for doing this work and this looks very impressive. As an engineer and physics nerd I would very much like to see the code that you use for calculating the trajectory.
We got the algorithm and the code from a spreadsheet created by John Adams. We have his kind permission to use it. You can download his spreadsheet from http://sections.asme.org/Canaveral/golf.htm.
I was wondering if there is any interest in making a similar program that would simulate the trajectory of iron shots as well?
We have such a project underway. It has not received much attention lately. The two biggest problems are:
  • Time. I am busy, and Frank is even more busy than I am.
  • Data. Frank already has some code that gives reasonable results. But it is important to us that we have accurate results. To do that, we need some precise data, over a wide range of launch angle and spin.
In the meantime, Max Dupilka has a trajectory program that gives reasonable values for iron shots. If you send me private email, either at my address or through the contact page on my web site (http://www.tutelman.com/aboutus/contact.php), I will be glad to email it to you.

Thanks for the offer of help. We will keep it in mind if/when we need programming help.

DaveT