Face tp path calculation

This is the place for any questions and discussions about TrajectoWare.

Moderators: fschmidberger, dtutelman

klyford
Trusted user

Face tp path calculation

Post by klyford » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:32 pm

When calculating the ball's starting direction, what assumption was made regarding the importance of path versus face angle? Titleist says 90% face angle/10% path on all clubs, Trackman uses 75% face for irons and 85% for driver. What percentage does your program use? I have new information that suggests that the face is responsible for 60% of the starting direction.

Thanks,
Keith

dtutelman
Site Admin

Re: Face tp path calculation

Post by dtutelman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:53 pm

The percentage depends on the obliqueness in the D-plane. For a square face, that is simple loft. For zero loft, that is simple face angle. In general, we are talking about the angle in space (specifically, in the D-plane) between the direction the face is pointing and the direction the clubhead is traveling.

The percentage is a function of that angle. It varies from nearly 100% face angle for very small angles to numbers approaching 50% for very oblique strikes. I doubt that Trackman uses a blanket 75%. I doubt that the 90-10 split you cite for Titleist is for all clubs (perhaps for all models of their drivers). 60% is possible for wedges, not likely for drivers.

For the details of how we compute it in TrajectoWare, see http://www.tutelman.com/golf/ballflight/3dlaunch.php